The Surfrider Foundation Eastern Long Island Chapter is seeking a new Volunteer Coordinator.
The Eastern Long Island Chapter is looking to fill an opportunity with a volunteer who is ready to step-up their commitment to the chapter. The Volunteer Coordinator position is an integral part of our Executive Committee since they help to lead and organize our chapter volunteers. See full description of responsibilities below.
This is a volunteer, unpaid position with the following requirements: must be an active Surfrider Foundation Member, available approximately 2 to 10 hours a week, able to make a 2-year commitment, be present for one chapter meeting per month and/or Executive Committee meeting per month. Like all members of the chapter’s Executive Committee, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with the chapter’s employee, the Chapter Coordinator. The Chapter Coordinator is there to help Executive Committee members, not to replace the work of volunteers.
- Coordinate with committees (campaign or events) and/or campaign and program leaders to identify volunteer needs
- Lead volunteer recruitment by communicating those needs to the membership and posting volunteer opportunities elsewhere as appropriate
- Build and manage a database or list of volunteers and potential volunteers
- Get to know volunteers, their interests and match them to opportunities
- Respond to inquiries from people seeking to volunteer
- Contribute content to the chapter’s website and social media pages
- Possibly – communicate to the chapter membership via mass emails. We will teach you Mail Chimp.
*Note: unless the Volunteer Coordinator wants to, the Volunteer Coordinator is not expected to lead a program (i.e. beach cleanups) or lead specialized volunteer training (i.e. for water quality monitoring). These duties fall to the respective Program Leaders.
If you are interested in being considered for the Volunteer Coordinator position, please reach out to our chapter Chair, Courtney Garneau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Surfrider Foundation is dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves and beaches, for all people, through a powerful activist network. We rely on the dedication of our volunteers for the success of our programs, and our work would not be possible without them.