EASTERN LONG ISLAND CHAPTER COORDINATOR
The Surfrider Foundation is a grassroots nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. Surfrider Foundation’s Eastern Long Island Chapter is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Chapter Coordinator. Our team has an opportunity for a self-motivated, adaptable professional to work in a high-volume, deadline-dependent environment. The primary focus of this position is to support chapter volunteer activists with a focus on volunteer management, event planning, marketing, and communications. This position is full-time and requires a flexible schedule.
Title: Eastern Long Island Chapter Coordinator
● General office administration including permit applications, insurance
requirements, answer telephones, emails and general inquiries.
● Work with the Chapter’s Executive Committee to maintain regular
communications with Surfrider Foundation members and volunteers via the website, email, social media, events calendar, Mailchimp, and other channels.
● Work with the Executive Committee to manage volunteers, coordinate
committees/programs, support and attend program meetings.
● Oversee the ordering, and management of merchandise and outreach materials at the direction of the Executive Committee.
● Carry out the budget priorities of the Chapter at the direction of the Executive Committee.
● Provide campaign and program expense information to the chapter treasurer.
● Event planning; assist the Chapter in planning, including but not limit to; Chapter Meetings, International Surfing Day, One Ocean Event and other annual events.
● In conjunction with the Executive Committee, coordinate chapter outreach efforts including staffing booths, prepping supplies for events, recruiting volunteers, giving presentations, and conducting media interviews.
● Assist the Chapter with fundraising efforts in conjunction with activities identified through their annual planning, including the chapter’s annual fundraising event and Surf Move Night.
● Manage corporate and public beach cleanup programs, including permitting and supply management.
● Provide support to the Plastic Pollution and Water Quality programs and
committees, meeting scheduling, permits, resources, and attend relevant partner, coalition, agency and Town Board meetings when necessary.
● Oversee all aspects of the Blue Water Task Force program, including taking, running and analyzing water samples at our lab in Hampton Bays, as well as posting their results. As needed – training new water sampling volunteers, coordinating water quality sampling, community workshops, and education programs to chapter volunteers. Proactively order water testing supplies as needed.
● Maintain good working relationships and consistent communication with our Blue Water Task Force partners: Concerned Citizens of Montauk and Peconic Baykeeper. Employee may participate and sit on committees; i.e. Suffolk County Single Use Plastics Task Force, Accabonac Protection Committee, East Hampton Water Quality Technical Advisory Committee, Water Quality Advisory Committee.
● Assist in processing general donations and memberships, which may include visiting the Chapter’s PO box and distributing donations to the Chapter treasurer.
● Work with the Chapter Volunteer Coordinator on recruiting, engaging, managing and overseeing volunteers and interns; core volunteer orientations, provide outreach for program volunteer needs along with executive committee members.
● Facilitate regular communication between the Executive Committee and
Surfrider’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager.
● Work with the Executive Committee to ensure the chapter is in compliance with the by-laws, policies and procedures set by Surfrider Foundation’s Headquarters.
Reports to: Mid Atlantic Regional Manager
● Four-year college degree
● Basic knowledge of coastal/marine environmental issues
● Administrative experience
● Nonprofit coordination experience
● Volunteer management experience preferred
● WordPress and web design experience a plus
● Public speaking skills
● Strong organizational and communication skills
● Flexible schedule; available for weeknight meetings and weekend events
● Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners
● Strong social skills
● Strong writing skills
● Experience with budget management
● Social media experience preferred
● Must have own vehicle, carry a current drivers license and maintain a clean driving record
● Must reside within the Eastern Long area
This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in the Eastern Long Island area. Candidate will work remotely from home and throughout the local area.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
● Medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation
● Long-Term Disability insurance
● Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
● 401(k) plan with partial employer matching
● Paid holidays, vacation and sick time
Please email your resume and cover letter (including your salary requirements) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 23, 2021
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital
status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about our DEI commitments, please visit: