The Surfrider Foundation is a grassroots nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. Surfrider Foundation’s Eastern Long Island is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Chapter Coordinator. Our team has an opportunity for a self-motivated, adaptable professional to work in a high-volume, deadline-dependent environment. The primary focus of this position is to support chapter volunteer activists with a focus on volunteer management, event planning, marketing, and communications. This position is full time and requires a flexible schedule.
Title: Eastern Long Island Chapter Coordinator (Full-Time, Non-Exempt)
- General office administration including permit applications, insurance requirements, answer telephones, emails and general inquiries
- Work with the Executive Committee to maintain regular communications with Surfrider Foundation members and volunteers via the website, email, social media, events calendar and other channels
- Work with the Executive Committee to manage volunteers, coordinate committees/programs, support and attend program meetings.
- Oversee the ordering, and management of merchandise and outreach materials at the direction of the Executive Committee.
- Carry out the budget priorities of the Chapter at the direction of the Executive Committee Provide campaign and program expense information to the chapter treasurer.
- Event planning; assist the Chapter in planning, including but not limit to; Chapter Meetings, International Surfing Day, One Ocean Event and other annual events.
- In conjunction with the Executive Committee, coordinate chapter outreach efforts including staffing booths, prepping supplies for events, recruiting volunteers, giving presentations, and conducting media interviews.
- Assist the Chapter with fundraising efforts in conjunction with activities identified through their annual planning.
- Manage corporate and public beach cleanup programs, including permitting and supply management
- Provide support to the Plastic Pollution and Water Quality programs and committees, supporting with meeting scheduling, permits, resources, and attend relevant partner, coalition, agency and Town Board meetings when necessary.
- Oversee all aspects of the Blue Water Task Force program, including taking, running and analyzing water samples, as well as posting their results. As needed, training new water sampling volunteers, coordinating water quality sampling, community workshops, and education programs to chapter volunteers.
- Maintain good working relationships and consistent communication with our Blue Water Task Force partners: Concerned Citizens of Montauk, Stony Brook University, and Peconic Baykeeper.
- Assist in processing general donations and memberships which may include visiting the Chapter’s PO box and distributing donations to the Chapter treasurer.
- Work with the Chapter Volunteer Coordinator on recruiting, engaging, managing and overseeing volunteers and interns; core volunteer orientations, provide outreach for program volunteer needs alongs executive committee members.
- Facilitate regular communication between the Executive Committee and the Surfrider’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager.
- Work with the Executive Committee to ensure the chapter is in compliance with the by-laws, policies and procedures set by Surfrider Foundation’s Headquarters
- Four-year college degree
- Basic knowledge of coastal/marine environmental issues
- Administrative experience
- Nonprofit coordination experience
- Volunteer management experience preferred
- WordPress and web design experience
- Public speaking skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Flexible schedule; available for weeknight meetings and weekend events
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners
- Strong social skills
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with budget management
- Social media experience preferred
- Must have own a vehicle and have a clean driving record
This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in the Eastern Long Island area. Candidate will work remotely from home and throughout the local area.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation, Long-Term Disability insurance, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 401(k) plan with partial employer matching, paid vacation and sick time.
Please email a resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com
Deadline: June 14, 2019
*Please include your salary requirements.
The Surfrider Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class under law.