Edit: this post has been updated, 10/17/22.
Are you an environmental leader? We have openings in our Executive Committee, the dedicated group of volunteers that help lead our chapter. This is considered a leveled-up version of volunteering. Executive Committee members are expected to make a two-year commitment and volunteer 2-10 hours a week, which at the minimum includes checking their Surfrider email inboxes and attending virtual Executive Committee meetings on the first Monday evening of the month (subject to change with each election). Candidates should be located on the East End of Long Island to best represent the chapter and assist with chapter activities. We are hoping to vote for candidates during our November Chapter Meeting, Tuesday 11/15 at the East Hampton Library at 5:30pm. For a little more detail on the positions available, see below!
– Is the “voice” of the chapter, representing us in public speaking events like town hall meetings, or writing to officials to ask for support for our campaigns
– Guides the chapter in decisions and approves purchases
– Runs chapter meetings and attends other Surfrider events like beach cleanups and fundraisers where possible
– Assists the Chair in representing the Chapter for events, public speaking, and other leadership opportunities
– Takes on extra projects such as Surf Movie Night, International Surfing Day, and/or leading campaigns
– Helps guide the chapter in creating annual goals and meeting those goals
– Attends other Surfrider events like chapter meetings, beach cleanups and fundraisers where possible
– Records notes for virtual Executive Committee meetings on the first Monday evening of the month
– Corresponds with new members to welcome to them to the chapter
– Sends thank you letters to donors
– Assists with beach cleanup data entry
While our most important roles are above, it’s possible that we could also add the following Executive Committee positions if there’s enough interest!
Rise Above Plastics Coordinator:
– Leads chapter campaigns against single-use plastic, including balloons, straws, bags, and utensils so far
– Supports the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program by recruiting and promoting businesses and training volunteers
– Assists the Chapter Coordinator in planning and hosting beach cleanups
Social Media Coordinator
– Helps create content including posts for events, campaigns, and more that reflects the Surfrider Foundation brand
– Assists the Chapter Coordinator in maintaining a consistent posting schedule to grow our audience on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Linkedin
– Optional: Could also help with cross-posting to other platforms including Patch and 27east, making physical flyers or posting to other news outlets
If you are interested in any of the above roles, please contact our Chapter Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org